Our overall mission is simple: We want Amazon to be the place where our customers can find, discover and buy anything online. Whatever our customers want, we will find the means to deliver it. With your help, Amazon will continue to enable people to discover new worlds. This is your chance to make history.
This team is the escalation point of contact for all critical network issues in Amazon Fulfillment Centers and Amazon Logistics sites globally. It is responsible for providing Tier 3 support for the Amazon network infrastructure and other specialized technical services. The support provided by this team will have global reach and support tens of thousands of Amazon Associates.
As a Network Engineering manager you will be responsible for managing a team ~10 highly skilled Network engineers locally and provide global guidance and mentorship to other Network Engineers in remote locations. In addition, you will be responsible for end-to-end product ownership of one of the key areas of our Network, including automation, standards, new builds, and scale. At Amazon, we ask our technical managers to be strong engineers who can dive deep and get involved in addition to being strong managers.
As a manager within the Networking team you will be expected to drive operational excellence in everything we do. This includes creating sane processes, procedures, and automation to improve efficiency in our day-to-day tasks and projects. You will work closely on supporting our internal customers and ensuring that their needs and issues are being addressed.
As a Network Engineering manager you will be expected to drive quality into the metrics we report to assist us in focusing on the areas that give us the best ROI. This includes measurement of our project plans, build schedules, issues, and cycle times.
Performance Management/Team Health
You will own all facets of performance and career management for the team. Regular one-on-one meetings with all team members are required. You will be expected to provide both technical and ‘soft skill’ mentoring in order to maintain a well-rounded, world-class organization. This includes project management, quality audits, and coordination of training sessions with senior-level engineers as well as day-to-day oversight of the team including scheduling of a 7x12x365 operational rota.
You will be integral to developing and improving incident and change management within the Networking space. Responsibilities include driving initiatives regarding improvements to existing tools & processes and providing feedback on new practices & procedures in order to scale with the rapid expansion of the Amazon platform and customer base.
Recruiting and Hiring
You will take the lead in hiring quality personnel who not only fit the needs of the current organization but also will allow the team to scale with platform and service growth. You will coordinate with Amazon and external recruiting staff to evaluate potential candidates, participate in initial phone screens and provide relevant guidance and feedback during on-site interview loops. You will also be responsible for ensuring that proper training takes place for all new hires.
This is an amazing opportunity in terms of responsibility, interesting challenges and high visibility. We truly are looking for the highest quality candidates, so you should expect a rigorous interview process.
· Strong leadership and technical skills
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Strong mentoring skills
· Strong presentational skills
· Ability to cope under pressure
· Ability to understand and drive service management/SLAs
· Ability to coordinate multiple activities and work in a high pace environment
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
· A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
· Must have a high degree of organization and be very detail-oriented.
· Must be able to interact with and influence people at all levels and have excellent public speaking skills.
· Possess ability to contribute to and support long-term visions and direction regarding Networking at Amazon.
· 5+ years experience in building and managing a team of strong technical people and prior ownership of the operation of a mission-critical team is crucial to success.
· The successful candidate will have a proven track record of success in delivering complex projects, including coordinating and driving issues to resolution autonomously utilizing excellent project management skills.
· 5+ years leading networking development or engineering teams.
· Former role as a network engineer.
· Tech support experience.
· Demonstrated ability to automate basic tasks in Perl, Python, Ruby or Java.
· CCNA/CCNP/JNCIA/JNCIS certifications a plus.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Amazon takes your personal data protection seriously and respects EU and local data protection laws. Unless you express otherwise, by submitting your CV you authorize the hiring Amazon company to store your personal data in the electronic database maintained by Amazon Corporate LLC. in the USA or one of its affiliates for the purpose of assessing your suitability for this and future job vacancies and to pursue your recruiting process.
If at any time you want your personal data to be deleted, you simply need to notify the hiring Amazon company. Amazon will not share your personal data with any third party without your prior consent. As part of your interview process with Amazon you may be asked to authorize the hiring Amazon company to separately verify your application data and personal background through a third party service provider.